Lovely Chubly

Sorted out with my brother Damon last night to have a couple hours on river with him and little lad in a couple of easy access swims we have. I have to drop the wife off at work for 9am so would meet him there afterwards. The morning was very overcast and blustery so I messaged him asking how it was down by the river.
His reply was "Fine wet fish"  eh?? I thought what does that mean when my messenger pings again to a picture of a nice trout.


I could not wait to get down to the river now. Today was more about just fishing for bites to see if we could pick up a couple of fish for little lad. Simple stick float with maggots as bait.
I pulled up next to Damons car just as my phone started to ring it was Damon gibbering with excitement saying you need to get here now I've got a big fish. Luckily it was a short walk from where we was so I picked up little lad and ran.

From damon

"After catching a brownie from one swim I moved down river in search of a few dace from a swim I have had a few from before, re-adjusted the float and off it went down stream nothing for 4-5 trots so I let the next one go further down till I could barely see the float. I had been feeding half a dozen maggots every trot.  I just held it back for a second to find it again and wham an almighty bang on the rod tip and I was in.  It was then that the reel started screaming as line was peeled off at an alarming rate.  Quick readjustment and slowly gained control this fish was digging deep and I knew it was the biggest fish I have hooked on this river. My heart was pounding when I saw it was a Chubb not wanting to lose it I went for the landing net clipped to my belt no swinging this fish in. I had it the biggest chub I have seen on this little river. I unhooked it and left it in the net to recover a while whilst I calmed Down and rang Christian to tell him to get his arse here quick."

Quick I did I turned up panting and managed to get down to the swim to see this fish OMG I said as he lifted the net out of the water that is huge. Jesus I'm chuffed to bits for you mate.



Absolutely belting fish that bro let's get her weighed.  

2.19lb get in that's brilliant for this little bit of river. We rested the fish for a while in the current and then let her go and she sulked off. 

 

I was just as excited as Damon was with a little bit of jealousy mixed in as well he was rolling a fag so I grabbed the rod and said it's my turn now but I bet the swim ruined. Alas nothing for me after a dozen or so trots through so we decided to go to what we have called Sandbank bend. We have had a few nice fish from here also. 
This is where one of my previous blogs Evening on the Yarrow fish came from http://bracketfishingadventures.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/evening-on-yarrow.html
So we new it held a few fish. I called first dibs in this swim and threw a few maggots to get things started. The river was a lot different to the last time I fished it and I could actually see the bottom in places I pretty much new the depth here so adjusted the float and sent it down the swim. Nothing for a good half hour then the rain and wind picked up a lot we decided to head for another swim which offered plenty of cover from the elements. This swim has produced fish in the past but can be tricky it's only a short run but there is a big back eddy so with a careful  cast you can either let the float run downstream or into the eddy again nothing beginning to get a bit disappointed at this point I wanted a fish.
Time was ticking as we only had a couple of hours so we decided to try out luck at the swim Damon caught the chub from we knew that it held dace so after being rested for abit they might be obliging. 
Damon fishing the same line as he had earlier. He had decided to feed quite heavily as he didn't want to take the maggots back with him so he was chucking quite a few in. No obliging dace today. I took the rod and had a few trots down I had a couple of little knocks on the float but no proper bite I tried again and this time let it go as far as I could see when it shot under no mistake that was a proper bite. I struck and was into something solid. Yes yes yes I thought please be a chub there was no head shaking so it wasn't a trout just a thump thump as it tried to go deep and into the tree roots. I knew this fish wasn't as big as the one Damon had but it was a good one. I managed to pull it from the snaggy side of the river into shallower water where I saw it YES!!! I shouted it's a chub another good one. I had forgot to take the net with me and not wanting to potentially lose this fish by guiding it to the bank I handballed it out as soon as it was close enough and quickly deposited it in the outreached net Damon was holding. I could not believe my luck I was so happy it was cleanly hooked in the corner of its huge mouth. 

We weighed this fish as well and it tipped the scales at 1.42lb so abit off Damons chub but still a good fish. Cracking couple of hours cannot beat it. 



Thankyou for reading.
  Please check out the rest of my fishing adventures. 



Comments

  1. Great read Christian, I must find time to get down to the Yarrow, it's only about 25 mins away from me up the M61/A6

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment